Information on student visas for New Zealand
You will need to have a current student visa for the programme in which you are enrolled while you are a student in New Zealand. To apply for a student visa in your home country before leaving for New Zealand, you can apply via Immigration New Zealand (INZ) or use the services of a licensed immigration adviser.
Taylors College Auckland staff, together with the University of Auckland team, can help you to extend your current visa if you are already studying in New Zealand.
How to apply for a student visa
- Fill in our online application form to study at Taylors College Auckland.
- Once we have received and assessed your application, we will send you a Letter of Offer.
- Pay your academic fees.
- Once payment has been received, we will send you a confirmation letter.
- If you are under 18 years of age, you will need to ensure that you have appropriate accommodation and welfare arrangements.
- Submit your visa application online on Immigration NZ website together with the supporting documents. You will receive further instructions from Immigration NZ. Alternatively your education agent will be able to help you with the visa process.
- A detailed ‘Step by Step’ guide to obtaining a student visa is available on the Immigration New Zealand website.
What are your student visa obligations?
You can usually work up to 20 hours a week in New Zealand during term time, and full time over the holidays. However, you must remember the main purpose that you are here is to study. If your studies start to fall behind you will have to give up working.
You must attend 100 percent of school contact hours and achieve satisfactory results. You must have a medical certificate or other satisfactory documentation to explain absences. Taylors College Auckland will monitor your attendance very closely. Parents will be informed if you are not attending classes.
You must maintain adequate arrangements for travel and health insurance during your stay in New Zealand.
If you are under 18 years of age and do not intend to live in New Zealand with a parent, custodian or nominated relative, Taylors College Auckland can arrange for a staff member to act as your caregiver.
You must inform Taylors College Auckland within seven days of your arrival in New Zealand of your current residential address, and of any changes of address within seven days of each change.
You can find useful information on student visas on the Immigration New Zealand website:
See the English language and academic entry requirements for the University of Auckland's Foundation Studies Certificate programme, delivered at Taylors College.
Start planning for your journey and find out about the costs of studying at Taylors College Auckland – including tuition fees, accommodation costs and insurance.
Read our helpful guide on application support and find out all you need to know about the application process at Taylors College Auckland.
Got any questions about studying with us? Read our frequently asked questions – or use our online form to enquire about anything else. We’re here to help.